Friday, August 28, 2009

Perils of Gardening

Yesterday I found it necessary to consult with my primary doctor re: a red spot on my ear which would not go away after two weeks of my own doctoring. When the nurse looked at it and commented with " Ohhhhhh", I said "That is what I get for sticking my head into the weeds".

Each summer I seem to attract cuts, punctures, and abrasions of various sizes and severity. I have learned how to doctor them myself because of previous injuries. Knowing just when to ask for help can be a little tricky. In this particular case I needed an antibiotic and some HORSE ointment !!!!! Yes, that is correct, horse ointment. My doctor raises horses and when they get skin injuries she applies an ointment which happens to be very effective on people. After one full day of applying this to my ear (along with taking the oral medication) I can see a definite improvement.

I keep my tetanus shot up to date because of my hobby which invites injuries it seems. One cannot always know just which bug has bitten as it all happens so quickly. . The "noseeums" are always a problem and I have learned to live with them. I did read that you could prevent getting those chigger bites by wearing tall rubber boots in the garden. Well, I may just try that as this has been the year of the chigger.

Since I share this land with the white tailed deer there is always a danger of coming in contact with the deer tick. It is very small and usually one does not know he has been visited by one until the rash appears. Early in the summer I always find ticks on me or on my clothes. They are the common "dog" tick and you feel and see them in time to burn, crush or flush them away.

Years ago I found on my carpet upstairs what appeared to be a fat, round, brown button. I was informed that it was an engorged tick which had dropped from it's host, hopefully the host was a visiting family pet.

Not all insect visitors to my garden are unwelcome. Many years ago I ordered some praying mantis egg cases and placed them about this place. In the ensuing years I have regularly found young mantises which are inhabiting the garden and vineyard, still making egg cases at the end of the season to perpetuate the species. When I prune the vines in the winter and find these mantis cases, I tie them to the vine so that the next year when the leaves come on and the warm weather causes them to hatch, they will be where their parent wanted them to be. The lovely lady bug with her pretty red spots I did not order but they are all about anyway. I am always happy to spy her on any of my veggie plants.

Another welcome creature is the lizard which seems to know what to do to winter over as I have seen him (or her) over several years. I have always heard that toads were good luck in the garden as they eat insects. I think the lizards do also. I have seen no toad but if I do I will give him a wide berth to ensure he stays on.

I could not have a garden were it not for the pollinating insects. At one time I had honey bees but they were lost to some disease as have been so many bees in this country. I understand that the solitary ground bee is a good pollinator and I do see them around and tolerate their presence because of their good help.

In the vineyard the wind acts as a pollinator by blowing the pollen from one vine to another. All of nature it seems is designed to keep the order of things intact. Even the lowly worm is very necessary for good soil.

I have no control over the most important aspect of gardening. That is rain. It has been absent for much of the growing season, but not today. Last evening the rain came down suddenly and noisily. Today started out the same way and more is predicted, thankfully.

So, I am willing to be inconvenienced by occasional bites or scrapes or rashes from poison ivy. The rewards are in the tasting. Food grown in your own garden, taken from the plant and to the kitchen onto the plate is so superior to any from the market. And the best part is knowing that no pesticides have been applied to my plants. It is a special joy being able to share with my family and friends, even up until frost when the kiwi are ready. It really has a year round benefit thanks to a deep freezer and canning jars. By this time of year some of my enthusiasm has dissipated, but in January when the inevitable seed catalogs arrive I will be stirred to action again and the problems of bugs, and bites and rashes will be a dim memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment