Monday, August 10, 2009

Harvesting

Harvesting can cover a lot of ground. It could be "bringing in the sheaves", or bringing in the tomatoes (which I did a lot of earlier in the summer). Today however I was bringing in the figs ( and some of the almost seedless muscadine grapes). Fortunately I am able to drive my handy dandy golf cart right up to the largest fig tree (the other two are covered with kiwi vines - my fault for not pruning properly). Simply stepping out and reaching into the tree and pulling off the best and ripest figs is sheer pleasure for me. Usually I see a big blue jay flying out of the tree when I approach. Today I did not, but half way into the job I heard him squawk from a nearby tree. I distinctly heard him say " how dare you enter my teritory"!! But I simply replied, "hello jay". That silenced him.

It was a good yield as I have learned that if the fig is large and feels soft it does not need to be completely brown (these are brown turkey figs). I now have enough to make strawberry fig jam. A very easy recipe which came to me from my teaching buddy, Lou. Who would have thought you could combine the figs from the Bible with the modern day jello and come up with such a great toast topper !

As for the grapes, I did not gather as many as I would have liked but it is early in the season for them. What makes them so great - for me - is that they were purchased and planted by my good friend Bob Huffman. He looked after the vineyard for me for many years. He even set up an honor "pay if you pick" system. We learned a lot of people just like to come in and pick their own and that is fine with me. It is not a money making project for me, just a love of gardening, but any money accrued was pocket money for Bob. Many of the once 200 grape vines have been cut down as the years have gone by. I have also learned that some of the men in the area like to make wine with the grapes and also anything else in the fruit family. It is a fun hobby for them. My own husband once made wine with the variety called Higgins. They are an interesting grape as they turn pink at maturity. They are fleshy and also tasty. It seems each of the grapes have their own distinct flavor. I was surprised this year that the almost seedless vines got ripe first. In past years it has been a variety called cowart. I only have one of those and it is planted just to the right as you come through the entrance. That is a new vine which came up from its mother vine. The mother vine either rotted through the main stalk or was cut down. Whatever the reason there was a mighty root system so all of these sprouts came up one spring and I chose one to keep and snipped off all the rest. Now after two years of all the energy going to one stalk it is a flourishing vine with plenty of grapes on it. The dark grapes are interesting in that when they ripen they turn black and have a dull appearance on the hull. Just a gentle pressure will tell you which ones are ready for picking. Also a taste test will let you know. Of course until you learn the tricks of the trade you may have to spit out a few !!!

Now that I have harvested, I must make good use of my harvest. And I certainly plan to do that. Whatever you are harvesting today I hope it is as rewarding to you as mine was to me. Just remember, sometimes it takes years to see the results of your labor. In Luke chapter 6:45 Jesus said that "a good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good". That is King James version, your Bible may say it differently. However you read it may it be satisfying to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment