Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Autumn's Waning Gift

One of the pleasures of gardening is
harvesting the fruits of your labor.  On this cold cloudy day, after being up late to witness an historic event, the election of President Obama's second term of office, I went outside to gather what I could find in my slowly vanishing garden flowers.  The picture shows what is left of the Cosmos,  Stone Mt. daisies, Chrysanthemum pacificum, pink Rose, Lantana, Zinnias, Ageratum, wild honeysuckle and the blooms of a confused Azalea.

It won't be long before I will have an abundance of
red Camellias, and Christmas Sasanquas.  They will actually begin to bloom in December.  You may be sure that I will be clipping some of those blooms to bring inside also.

One plant which is turning a beautiful salmon color is the Mapleleaf Viburnum, I did not  want to cut, as I am giving  tender loving care the first winter for this new undergrowth tree.

I do not consider it cheating to bring in the wild honeysuckle along with my cultivated flowers.  This vine has been pleasing me since I was a small child in the mountains of eastern Kentucky.  We learned that we could not only enjoy its sweet scent, but also sip the nectar inside the bloom, much the same way the bees and butterflies helped themselves to it as part of their diet.

If you are living in a temperate zone, I challenge you to take a walk around with your clippers and see what you can find to bring indoors for an impromptu bouquet.  It might just lift your spirits on a cloudy day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment