Friday, November 12, 2010

12 by 28

Twelve feet by twenty eight feet is the area of my sun deck. It is on the east side of my house and is entered from the balcony area inside. Being on the second floor I do not use it as often as I could. In the hot summers it is not inviting until after four in the afternoon. On a sunny winter day is a good time to be there. The plastic chairs are inside, but can easily be put out if desired.

I did not take a chair out as my mission was to walk for thirty minutes and that I did. It was fun for me and interesting as I looked out at the trees with their leaves changing in all sorts of colorful shades. This house sits directly facing south and as I was walking the deck, the long way is north to south. Each side gave me a nice view and happy memories. At the north end I can see half of the Leyland Cypress that I planted in 1991. They have grown very tall and are doing just what I had planned for them to do. They serve as a screen from my neighbors to the west and also as a shield from harsh winter winds coming from the west. I think they are about as tall as they will get, reaching to the same height as my house and as tall as the sturdy hickory tree where squirrels find their food supply. And incidentally these brazen squirrels bring the nuts to my front steps where they sun themselves and have picnics where I walk, leaving the broken hulls for me to sweep away.

Also on the north end are the rusty red leaves of the crape myrtle. The leaves are not as bright a red as the blooms in August, but still a lovely sight in fall. Not a pretty sight is the redbud tree which is covered with dead seed pods and brown leaves. This tree I bought in Mt.Airy,Ga. and carried home in the trunk of my car many years ago. Just beyond the redbud are the sourwood trees with their pendulous blooms in summer and long lance like leaves. The bees use them to help them in their honey making time. Now, they are a slowly fading red.

Down lower to the ground I can see the last yellow daisy and the many blossoms of the chrysanthmum pacifica. A delightful yellow and last of the perennials to bloom before we have a hard freeze. I see far down the hill the gravel road leading out of the property past the well house and the old red barn.

The view to the south allows me to look down on the burfordi holly and reminds me that I must get the privet hedge cut from the middle of this glossy leaved bush. The "Miss Huff" Lantana is still blooming away. I can count on seeing those multicolored blooms until a hard freeze. This year I have two plants, one on each side of the stone steps leading down to the front lawn and beyond. They put out their branches in early summer and by mid-summer they are on a real growth spurt and starting to put on those yellow-orange-pink-blooms which bring on the butterflies and bees until cold weather sends them elsewhere. On one side they have spread ten feet long and at least 8 feet wide. A real mood booster for the gardener.

So, back and forth I walked, looking at first one scene and then the next with a side glance to the east which was no threat for the scenes to the south and north.
Not a bad walk in my bedroom slippers with a heating pad to my shoulders. Having a constant review of the plants I have nurtured for years, I am entertained with every step and affirmed by my gardening efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment