Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I Did It Anyway

During the 50's and 60's my husband and I moved to the great state of Maryland. We left the green hills of southeastern Kentucky to seek our fortune on the sandy shores of the Delmarva Peninsula. We met a lot of nice people there, some of those friendships are still in place today. Two of the people we met are living near me now. They are my son and my daughter, who were both born in Maryland. I thought they had heard most of the stories of my life but I was wrong, so I have more for today.

In 1969 my husband took a new job and we moved to the fine state of Georgia. Many changes took place in the first few years of living here. One was my decision to work for a masters degree in Atlanta in Early Childhood Education. This was around 1975. I had thought of taking this step while in Maryland but decided not to do it at that time. Mostly because it would be too demanding to attend classes, study, work , be a proper mother to my children, and wife to my husband.

In order to be admitted to Georgia State I was required to take an exam. I chose to take the Millers Analogy Test. It was a pass/fail test and in due time I was scheduled to appear in class on a set day in the summer quarter.

A few days before this first class I walked to the mailbox in front of my house to get the mail. As I was walking back I was looking through the letters and not paying too much attention to where I was stepping. I stepped on a gravel in such a way as to turn my ankle. It was painful but I dismissed it as a minor inconvenience. After a couple of days I decided I must have it looked into as it was too painful for walking. Diagnosis, hairline fracture at the ankle and it required a cast be worn for a month at least. I got this all taken care of quickly and was scheduled to appear at my first class the next day.

I had to be driven into Atlanta as I could not manage the bus ride and additional walking at this point. My class was on the second floor of the building and the only way I could manage was to sit on the bottom step, scoot myself up to the next step and so on. Once inside the classroom I found two chairs, one for me and the other for my foot with the wet cast. After class I was expected to meet my driver at the nearest exit . It was much easier to scoot down the two flights of stairs than it was to come up. This first class was called "The Open Classroom". The impaired walking did not stop me at all, and I walked away with an A.

We had a garden that summer and it was my first real garden. Of course I did not do any of the work required but I did get into the garden on a regular basis to check things out. During this period I was weaning myself off the crutches. One day I did need them as I was going to be out and about. However I could not locate them, my witty husband had a suggestion, "maybe you left them in the garden". After I had a good laugh I did locate them inside the house.

Obstacles can of course get into the way of completing a goal. The old adage "if it is worth doing it is worth doing right" comes to mind. Or, once you set your hand to the plow, don't look back. Maybe it is just being stubborn or not wanting to say "I couldn't do it", but I hate to give up once I set my mind to do something.

Once my doctor said to me "with you it is all or nothing, isn't it?". I was puzzled by this as I really did not understand what she meant. So, I did not respond. Since that time I have thought of it and I suppose it means just what she said. If I commit to something, I go all out for it. Perhaps it is wisdom to know what I can comfortably accomplish. Maybe the term "foolhardy" would apply !! Whatever it is, I am not easily deterred. Like it or not, like the leopard, I cannot change my spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment