Friday, June 1, 2012

June Surprise

 I had been waiting for this first bloom to appear.  But when I saw it, I was taken aback.  The buds on the other bushes were larger and usually have the first bloom.  So, when I set my eyes on this perfect, first bloom, on the first day of June, I fairly squealed.  Upon close examination it appears to be holding out six arms in welcome.  The inner part is still folded in a tight promise to open soon.

The gardenia is one of those flowers that delivers on its promise of a heavenly scent, ready to meet your senses when you wander into its territory. 

If this isn't heaven, then it must be a little "teaser" of what it will be like.  It does not promise to stay all summer, rather only long enough to make you want more.  I know that I can expect a few weeks of these welcome blooms, coming, turning brown and unless you pull the dead blooms off, they will hang on for a long time.

I did notice a whitefly moving about so some gardening chores are awaiting me.  Whiteflies are prone to appear on these bushes, so I am prepared.  I have a systemic solution and will waste no time in applying it to the ground around this otherwise healthy bush.

If you do not have a Gardenia bush in your landscape, I urge you to find a spot for one.  The north side of your house or in a spot where they can have some sun with plenty of shade, will be ideal for growing your Gardenia. You will be rewarded over and over again for your efforts
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment