Friday, February 10, 2012

Don't Entertain the Queen in Your Sleep

Recently there have been a lot of programs on Public Television about the Windsors, and specifically Prince Philip.  One brief clip showed a barbecue traveling set up  that he had designed, after being introduced to the concept on one of his trips.  It also showed the royal family on a picnic and the informality of the group setting up to eat on a picnic table.  The idea that the ruling house of England could unbend and enjoy an informal outing must have stuck in my mind, for I revisited it in my sleep last night.

How it happened to come about I do not remember but Queen Elizabeth and her family were visiting my home.  There were capers going on concerning the younger ones in her party, but otherwise we were all a congenial group.  For some reason I thought they might enjoy a visit to a fancy doughnut shop as it was Valentines day so we ventured out and sure enough the shop was all decorated for Valentines day shoppers.  The doughnuts were lavishing displayed and we all expressed our pleasure with Oohs and Aahs.  As some wandered about I ordered a box of doughnuts with all sorts of elegant toppings, and some decorated paper plates to serve these dainties on.  Plenty of whipped cream and unusual decorations met my eyes as I asked for the bill to pay for them, and take home as a later snack.  When the bill was offered it far passed my expectations and when I looked shocked, the clerk explained that the  Queen had ordered some candies  that contained liquors which made it all very expensive.  The Queen never carries money so I knew it was my duty to pay for it all.  However my credit card was not to be found in my wallet and panic struck.  I searched through every little zippered pocket in my purse and after a while I found it.  I was so shocked by the bill I had trouble checking the total but finally it was accomplished.  Then since we were in a Mall I was gathering up the group to go home and learned the Queen had already left.  I was busy trying to find the rest of he party and noticed it was raining and us with no umbrellas.  Shortly after that I awakened, much relieved that it all happened while I was sleeping.

I suppose that the films I had seen made it seem possible to my subconscious mind that she might just drop by some day.  And I conjured up an activity for her which might be a bit different from her ordinary rounds at the castle.  All of this brings up the old adage "do all things in moderation" and I really have been watching too much British television lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment