Sunday, May 1, 2011

Long Live She Bear

Driving a long way to pick up some heirloom tomato plants seemed like a reasonable jaunt for me, so that is what I did.  Taking my neighbor along with me, we headed out with directions she had scribbled on a scrap piece of paper.  She had been there before and had told me a lot about this lady whom she has known for years.  They both worked at the North Georgia Medical Center years ago.  Last year I mailed this lady, whom I had not met, some seeds for heirloom tomatoes.  I next met her at the funeral for her husband of almost fifty years.  So, she was not a complete stranger.  Also I had heard a lot about her and had seen some remarkable things she had made on her sewing machine.  With all of this information under my belt, I headed out to see her for a brief visit, or so I thought.

There were a few bobbles on the way but we finally pulled up in her driveway.  She was waiting for us barefoot and in denim capri pants.  She won my heart the moment I saw those bare feet.  No pretenses here at all.  When I opened the car door I saw a Kousa dogwood beside her drive.  I asked Diana if that was what it was, and she said, "Yes, most people do not know what it is".  It was in bloom and a beautiful specimen plant.  Next my eyes fell on another plant, partly concealed by the green blades of some kind of bulb, already finished with blooming.  These turned out to be something I had wanted for a long time, annuals called "Sweet William".  I asked if she had grown them from seed.  Yes, she had.  Now I know I must find seeds for them and plant them!  I remember my mother having those in her garden, fifty years ago.

As we entered her home we were greeted by a barking Spaniel with hair as red as the hair of our hostess.  She called him Little Red.  His left hip  had been shaved which gave him  a slightly mottled look.  It seems that he had surgery on his hip, thus the shaved area.  Diana took us through her home and an interesting tour it was.  First off, a tall, almost five feet, Cacti plant.  For once, a real plant that did not look real.  She told us it was over one hundred years old.  Diana offered one to me.  I could not take it as the responsibility of keeping it alive was just too great a task.  A friend of hers was breaking up house keeping and could not take it with her, possibly she will return for it one day.

Near the plant up high up on the wall were two trophy heads of beautiful deer.  Her husband had been a hunter and supplied them with venison for most of their married lives.  In her dining area was a beautiful cherry table inlaid with contrasting wood grain.  This had belonged to her mother.  Along the wall a huge cupboard which almost reached to the ceiling.  A friend had bought it at an auction and after getting it home realized it was too big for her house.  She had paid $35 for it and gave it to her just for the taking.  As we went through her house Diana pointed out interesting things, like the century old iron bed which had been in her family.    She had painted it a burnished gold.  I certainly remember having those iron beds in our home, as a child.  Some of her watercolor paintings are on her walls and also some charcoal and pastel drawing.  They were all lovely pictures.

Leading off her dining area we went out onto a second story deck. looking out we were surrounded by sky high trees.  A black walnut, a pecan, and some native Sweet Gum trees.  This lady had two rain barrels at the back corners of her house, in anticipation of  a dry summer.  It was such a woodsy area that you did not notice about one acre away  was busy I 85 which goes south to Atlanta and north to Greenville,  S.C.

At this point our hostess said she wanted to take us for lunch to a quaint little restaurant nearby.  I asked her to drive my car since she knew the way.  Without a moments  hesitation she got into my car, backed out onto her street and off we went.  She took us to a neat, fenced in house, with tables and chairs out front, apparently for customers to sit and enjoy the day.  The inside was eye popping.  The dining room inself had only eight tables to seat four.  I could see an additional back dining area, but we were seated in this first area and I was happy about that.  You see, all of the  walls were  painted with a colorful mural of tree trunks, and pots of flowers.  It gave you a feeling of eating outdoors.  The menu had so many choices of good wholesome food.  She said  they were known for fresh creamed corn, so that is one thing I ordered.  When our food had been served these two friends automatically held hands and reached for mine as this charming lady offered a blessing before our meal. We had such a delightful lunch, exchanging ideas and news.  When it was time to go I really hated to leave.

Once back at her home she took us down to see her raised beds, four of them.  She had planted a wide variety of summer vegetables.  I saw tomatoes in one bed, asparagus in one along with eggplant, squash, pimentoes, green peppers, cucumbers, early peas and possibly some I have forgotten.   All of them thriving in beds Diana had made with wooden sides, on a flat area, beside the back of her house.  Then she pulled out the tomatoes she had for me.  Six plants, Rutgers red, Yellow Pear, German Queen, and Mr. Stripy heirloom.  This generous variety was for me and my neighbor - who was her friend first.

Diana  is a hard working nurse at a nearby hospital.  She went to night school while holding down a full time job in order to get a degree in nursing.   I happen to know that she is a writer as well.  I heard a poem that she wrote for her husband.  This poem was read at his funeral service.  She was instrumental in publishing a cookbook when her sister graduated from nursing school.  This was in dedication to the GTC R.N. Class of 2011 and their instructors.  They were the first graduation class from this technical school in Lawrenceville, Ga.   One interesting facet of the book is the symbols which guide you in your selections.  As one might expect,  throughout the book are paintings of different flowers, lilies, tulips, poppies, sunflowers, water lilies, and daffodils.  On the cover is a picture of the ladies who studied and worked hard to become nurses as the first graduating class at this school.

As you can tell, I admire Diana very much.  She never had children of her own, but her life is full of joy and accomplishments.  I wish her a continued, purposeful life filled with all her heart desires.  She has made an impact on many whom she nursed over the years.  No doubt they could tell they were in capable hands without ever knowing that everything else she did, was done with capable hands and heart as well.  Our visit turned out to be much more than brief, it was a fun filled jaunt which will stay with me for a long, long time.  One other thing, her email address has "she bear" in it.  I would like to know the story behind the name.  I can bet it is a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment