Sunday, October 31, 2010

In The Treetops

This week-end I have had two house guests, my daughter/son-in-law's two pet dogs. One is part chow with the turned back, twisty fluffy tail. The other a Pomeranian with the same type tail. Two very different dogs in temperament, but they are friends by circumstance. Cujo the small dog has been in the family for many years. He was a comfort after they lost a much loved sheltie named Bruno. As Cujo aged they thought it wise to have a companion so they found a rescue dog in much need of love and attention. She was nursed back to health with medical help and human love. I recall conversations about what to name this new pet. I heard, "Girl" first, then it was Rocky. Why Rocky?, well she looked like Rocky Marciano, the boxer.

On this particular Saturday afternoon, when it was sunny and mild, I decided to have a visit to the deck at the top level. I invited the dogs to come along, but only Rocky accepted. The sun being in the southern sky late in October, most of the deck was in shade. The plastic deck chairs were turned around and leaning against the wall of the house, in order to prevent dust, etc. from collecting in the seats. I took my chair over to the southern end of the deck where I could sit in the sun. By turning the chair to the north, I could enjoy the sun on my back.

It was a pleasant place to be. The warmth of the sun on my back, the gentle intermittent breeze on my face and occasional distant roar of an airplane all made for a lazy feeling. Rocky's behavior was one of exploration by observation. She went to various railings to stick her head out to the east, south and north. I could almost read her mind. "It looks different from up here", "I wonder if I could just step down there", "oh, if only I could get that yellow butterfly over the hill", "I will try this other spot", "nope, still too far away", "maybe if I just lie down and rest it will help".

The most interesting thing about being up high and in the open is being able to see the tops of the trees from this angle. The dogwood at the top of the pathway is leaning toward the house, not close or dangerously, just to show it is seeking more sun. I can see how crowded the camellia is making it for both the dogwood and the holly bush, also the gardenia and the azalea. There is much competition for rain and soil. I am looking out at the English Ivy which I foolishly started 15 years ago. It has made it up the hill and went beyond my expectations. It just naturally wants to climb and every tree on the hillside knows it. I make a mental note to find time to cut back this beautiful but damaging vine.

As my mind is wandering over the tops of the trees, a plane flying low brings me back to my task at hand. I had brought out my lesson for next Thursday to read and digest before our circle meeting. We are studying Revelations and the lesson is on the symbols of strength which various nations have used over the centuries. In this last book of the Christian Bible it is vividly comparing these symbols to the most powerful yet mildest symbol, the lamb. Quite a contrast with much food for thought.

Rocky is scratching at the door, his signal that his reverie is over and he is ready to leave this strange observation post. So, gathering up my materials and replacing the chair, I reluctantly leave this sanctuary for enclosed spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment