Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Saved a Life Today

My day began with my usual 30 minute walk. Since my driveway circles my house that is where I walk. I am able to take in all the plants and trees and just enjoy the scenery. One thing I noticed as I walked was an aluminum chair which is quite old. The last time I sat in it I heard a loud complaint. The webbing was old and rotting and needed to be replaced.
I had put it where I would remember to take care of that. When I recently cleaned out one of my sheds I saw some nylon webbing I had put in there a long time ago. I had placed it near the chair on my back porch, hoping to get to that chore soon.

I was enjoying the walk so much I did not want it to end. I extended it for a bit by walking down to the raised beds and turned on a hose to water the last of season tomatoes. Coming back to the house I was thinking of how pleasant it was outside. It was like summer was reluctant to leave but fall was politely reminding summer that it was time to go.

I simply wanted to stay outdoors longer, So I got a screw driver and a pair of scissors to use on the rewebbing of the chair. I was working away and thinking of how I was repairing something that was quite old but was also still very useful. That reminded me of something my brother Gene had said about our mother. He said "she could stretch a dollar to the size of a sheet".
I cannot claim to work that miracle, but this chair is light weight, foldable and handy to set up when an extra seat is needed. It does not rust as it is aluminum. I do not see these chairs in the stores any more. I think they have been replaced by the plastic molded light weight chairs. I have some of them. They are comfortable and come in pretty colors. Also I have a teak adirondack chair which is weathered but still comfortable. It stays at this same spot as it is heavy and difficult to move. Not so this old aluminum relic.

It is not elegant or particulary pretty but still has a lot of life left in it, so why not save it for another summer. As I finished my task I think I felt something of what a surgeon must feel after a successful operation. It is good to see a failing patient brought back to life by your own efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment