Sunday, January 20, 2013

Camelot


A lovely place to be and a lovely time of life; alone, but not lonely, busy, but not overworked, free, but not at loose ends, at peace yet not a dull state of mind, those are the components, I think, that identify Camelot.  Contentment is a great state of mind, free of pain and worry with loving friends and family who are there but not hovering.  What brings on this favored state?

 Not just one thing I think, but a combination of prior planning, choosing, and determination to plant oneself in a place which is satisfying to you and not necessarily to anyone else.  A book lover would probably live peacefully in a library setting.  I do enjoy a good book, and also writing, but seeing things grow and reach maturity and bloom gets my vote.  Having four distinct seasons is just enough diversity to keep me interested.  In the coldest season I adjust by pursuing other interests, but at the first hint of spring my antennae go up and I begin to explore outside for what is stirring.  There is always something that needs attention.  This would probably annoy a book lover, but it just nudges me into action with pruning shears or shovel, or just gloves and weed pulling.

 Firing up my work horse golf cart, and chugging all around this place is the way I start exploring my outside environment, looking for “needy” plants.  If you have planned your environment for year around blooms there is always something to admire, to perk things up.  Part of the contentment comes from knowing that at certain times of the year you will be seeing  plants produce blooms that can be cut for indoors.  Some plants keep their blooms for longer periods - as the camellia – and the enjoyment lasts longer.

 If you choose plants which attract birds, or butterflies, you compound the fun.  Also if they produce sweet fragrance – such as Gardenia or Daphne it adds to the whole fun experience.

 Yes, you can enjoy life at any stage and different surroundings or events can make it your Camelot and not necessarily anyone else’s.  Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest differences.  So, if you are not content with where you are planted, seek those changes and claim them for your own.  It is never too late to change course, and you can begin with small changes, or small adjustments.  Women know this and that may be why they like to rearrange furniture.  It does give the appearance of a new beginning, a new adventure, a visual announcement that things will be different.

 At one time, years ago, the library in Decatur had a lending program for paintings.  I made use of this service by checking out paintings to hang on my wall at home.  I was already using the library for films, and picture books in my classroom.  Just putting up new paintings gave me a psychological lift.  Now I have plenty of lovely paintings, thanks to my sister, Katrine's talent, but I still shift them around from time to time.

 I hope this writing has given you some ideas on how to create an environment of contentment for yourself, or even helped you to see that you already have that place you can call your Camelot.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment