Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Chimes of Time

Many years ago our family had a reunion at Pine Mountain Park in Kentucky. We had special things planned, as a talent show, a gift exchange and a special prize. We drew numbers for this special prize. The prize was a chiming clock made by my brother Gene. My sister Ruth was the lucky winner. She took it home in the back seat of her car, with a seat belt around it for protection. When she sold her house and went to live in a retirement complex she had limited space. Her daughter took the clock to her home for safe keeping. It is a beautiful clock as Gene was a very meticulous clock maker. He also made other reproductions of antique furniture for his children and grandchildren. He had a special shop built on his property for this specialized hobby.

When he saw how I was taken with this clock for Ruth he determined to make a clock for me. In due time the clock arrived in a special box made just for this clock. He even made a shelf to hold it on the wall. He made me a part of the project by sending me the face of the clock so I could put decorations on it. At each corner I painted a rose. I engaged a glass maker to frost the glass except for the center where the pendulum could be seen. At each corner of the glass the glass maker put roses. It is a very personalized clock.

The other special thing is the Westminster Chimes inside the works. They announce the quarter hour, half hour, three quarter hour and chime the hour.

This clock is sitting on the little shelf on the east wall of my living room. Throughout the house I can hear the chimes. As time has passed I have become accustomed to hearing it and sometimes am not even aware it is chiming. But it is there and faithful to keep the time. About once a week I open the door and using a little key I rewind three different stems, which keep it going.

This special clock will have even more meaning for me now as the clock maker has passed on to assist the master carpenter. I think they both know the joy of creation, each in his own way. Each has taken pride in his work and blessed others with it. Each has passed on to the next generation a gift of himself to be shared and enjoyed. I am reminded of the gifts of life and nature that were given eons ago when I look out my windows. I am reminded of the gift of love made by human hands when I see this clock or hear the chiming of the hour. A gift that warms my heart and brings back memories of a life time of having a brother who makes me so very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment